Best Time to Visit California
San Diego, in the Southern coast of California, just a few miles north of the border with Mexico, is a top travel destination: its scenic bay and many miles of white sandy beaches, and its nightlife, cultural options and proximity with Mexico (Tijuana, the closest Mexican city is just a couple of miles south from San Diego) or with the Anza-Borrego Desert, make San Diego a California hotspot.
Best time to visit San Diego and Tijuana
When not to go to San Diego and Tijuana
What to visit in San Diego and Tijuana
Hotels and flights to San Diego and Tijuana
San Diego Weather map
MAIN GEOGRAPHICAL REFERENCES
WHAT TO VISIT IN SAN DIEGO
San Diego California MAP
San Diego Downtown and districts around
Downtown and the districts around downtown (Gaslamp district, Broadway...) are perfect for enjoying San Diego and its architecture, museums (Museum of Contemporary Art, Maritime Museum), entertainment options or nightlife and eating options...
Other top travel sites in San Diego and around
- San Diego Zoo
- Ocean Beach: for music, beach, surf and parties, or for whale migration watching (during Winter)
- Mission Bay and the Sea World, a very popular attraction, involving spectacles with dolphins and whales.
- Balboa Park (a set of important museums: Museum of Art, Museum of Man, Aerospace Museum, Automotive Museum, Spanish Village Art Center, Reuben H. Fleet Science Center (for kids))
- Anza Borrego Desert: an impressive Park with just a small town (Borrego Springs)
The border with Mexico is just some miles south San Diego, and Tijuana - a vivid and interesting Mexican city - is just in the other side of border. Tijuana is a popular destination for many San Diego visitors, and if you don't intend to stay in Mexico more than three days or go beyond Tijuana, then border formalities are minimal.
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL TO SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
San Diego has excellent weather conditions. Lower yearly temperatures average 55ºF/13ºC, and the higher 71ºF/22ºC. Most days are sunny, even in winter. Chilly or foggy days are rare, and sea breezes make the weather agreeable even in the hotter days of summer.
Anyway, if you want to enjoy full beach life and outdoor activities, summer is the better period.
Some events and seasons you may want to equate while planning your visit to San Diego and its surroundings:
- To see the grey whales migrating along the coast, you should visit San Diego from mid-December through mid-March .
- To visit the nearby desert (Anza Borrego), winter is the best time.
- To enjoy wildflowers spectacle in the mountainsides and desert, you should visit San Diego in early spring .
- To enjoy the Fall's displays of colours in the mountainsides, you should visit San Diego in Autumn.
WHEN NOT TO GO TO SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA
If you want to bet in lower accommodation prices, then avoid the summer months, as well as breaks and holidays. If you intend to visit the Anza-Borrego Desert then avoid the summer months.
SAN DIEGO Weather Map
HOTELS AND FLIGHTS TO SAN DIEGO
San Diego (and Tijuana, in the other side of the border with Mexico) has a wide range of accommodation (mainly in the budget category, in the case of Tijuana).